Five things that have happened this week, things I've spotted and things that have made me smile.
1. A Grebe and what we thought was a female Merganser on Westport Lake, which is near Tunstall in Stoke-on-Trent.
It was the only Merganser we saw as we walked around the lake and it was a bit aggressive to the other waterbirds as if it was trying to claim its space there.
2. The wonderful sight of the iron bridge built c.1779 by Abraham Darby III across the River Severn at Ironbridge in Shropshire. I love it here, you can feel the history and impact of the Industrial Revolution all around this area. You can just see the Toll House chimney over the other side of the bridge.
The Toll House
The Toll House
Love the list of tolls and the N.B. at the bottom.
3. On Tuesday when we moved the recycling wheelie bin to take it down to the end of the drive this newt was underneath. It was placed in an old washing up bowl with a bit of luke warm water for a while and then taken up to the pond. It must have been very mild on Tuesday because when Paul took the newt up to the pond he startled a frog which launched itself into the pond, the newt slithered in a few seconds later. Another month and the pond will be heaving with frogs.
4. As I write this blog post storm Doris is howling around the house. I tried to take an 'action' photo of the garden from the bedroom window as the trees over the back hedge are bending and whirling their branches around. The conifer tree is doing a lone samba, its branches twisting and turning in the strong wind.
The lawns are sodden and squelchy and there aren't many birds around on the feeders today but we did see a little group of long tailed tits visit the fat balls. The buggy nibbles and seeds have been placed in ground feeders so it is easier for sparrows, blackbirds and robins. Thank goodness we don't have to go anywhere today.
5. It's a day to stay in, keep warm, cosy and safe and enjoy the simple things around us.
Joining in Five on Friday as always with Amy and Love Made my home. Follow the link below to find other who are joining in too.
Have a lovely weekend.