Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Walk to Thor's Cave

I mentioned in my last post on  Alstonefield that we had been on a long walk before we got to the village.  The walk was along the trail in the Manifold Valley where the Leek and Manifold Light Railway (1904 -34) used to run bringing tourists into the valley and to Thor's Cave. 

 We left the car in the parking area near Wetton Mill and walked along the track
 
 We could see the cave in the distance. 

The track follows the line of the dry river bed.  It's dry because the river flows underground at this point.
We were getting closer to the cave, the question was should we or shouldn't we try to make it all the way to the entrance?
 
 The answer was yes, we would give it a try.  So up the stone steps we went, in defiance of ageing knees. The route curves up and round amongst the trees.

 Gently winding upwards, not a soul in sight, just the sound of woodpeckers beating out their rhythm on the trees.

 We saw some lovely wild flowers and plants along the way including wood anemone, dog's mercury and wild garlic.
 
 Onwards and upwards 
 
Until we got to the entrance.  We passed a group of walkers, three ladies with Nordic walking poles, on the way down and there were a couple of people and a dog just coming out of the cave as we arrived.

Next question - could I get inside?  It is about 10 years since I'd last been inside so I was determined to try.
A last look at the way we had come and then it was time to scrabble and scramble looking for hand and foot holds to get inside.

 We made it!
 
The next things was to take a few photos to prove it whilst trying not to worry about how I was going to get out, as you can see the rock was quite smooth and slippy underfoot.

 It was quiet, apart from the cawing of crows and jackdaws. 
 
 The cave was like a natural cathedral its walls soaring high up above.

The colours and textures in the limestone rock were wonderful.

 Excavations have shown that the cave was occupied from about 10,000 years ago and was probably occupied up to Saxon and Roman times making it one of the oldest sites of human activity in the Peak District.  Finds from the cave can be seen in museums around the district including Buxton Museum.


We walked back to the mill where we bought  delicious takeaway cheese and chutney sandwiches to go with the flask of coffee we had brought with us from home.  It was a lovely day, quite warm and spring like with no sign of Storm Katie waiting in the wings for the Easter weekend.
 

32 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place so glad you managed to get all the way to the top and lookinside again. I wonder how many people have touched the walls over the years?
    At Langcliffe nr Settle (were I'm from) we have Victoria Cave, Mammoth bones were descoverd here.Haven't been for some years, you have made me want to go now :)
    Lovely post and photos.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me of Cresswell Craggs too. It felt good to get inside probably won't do it again as my 65 and a half year old knees and legs ached for a few days afterwards:)

      Delete
  2. A fantastic walk! I love a trek up to the cave... I have so many fond childhood memories of the Manifold Valley with my grandparents as a child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely area - you must have some very happy childhood memories:)

      Delete
  3. Well done Rosie. Fantastic! I have been within sight of the cave but not inside it - is it associated with St Bertram? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a Saxon Cross with scenes from the life of St Bertram at nearby Ilam Church so it is possible - I'll see what I can find out:)

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed! I walk, but strictly on flat land, no hills for me. What an interesting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to walk on flat walks because the inclines do get to my knees and I suffer a bit for it afterwards, although I make myself do it occasionally. It is an interesting place:)

      Delete
  5. What a great place to visit! I would have been tempted to go all the way, as you did. The Peak District is so rich in beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, so many beautiful things to see:)

      Delete
  6. A great place to visit but you are braver than me, don't think I would have managed the climb up into the cave and if I had I don't know how I would have got out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if I got up there that I would be able to get down - I came down backwards, quite undignified! Good job there was no one else around:)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic! Well done! It's always good to have a target on a walk especially if there are great views as well. Glad you got out safely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we thought we'd get up to the cave when we started the walk but once we were nearly tehre we thought we'd give it a go:)

      Delete
  8. What a fabulous walk. I know that feeling when you have managed something tricky, but know it's going to be even more difficult on the way back. Well done! Lovely photos too. It sounds a little bit eerie up there and imagine people living there. Not too homely. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it was a place of shelter and somewhere they could prepare food. Apparently the bones of a bear were found in there:)

      Delete
  9. It must have felt like such an achievement to make it inside the cave! Thank you from sharing the photos from within. Some of it looks like the surface of the moon! I am glad that you made it safely out and had the reward of cheese and chutney sandwiches! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have a strange texture and colour inside. The sandwich was so tasty after all that walking and climbing:)

      Delete
  10. What an interesting post and lovely photos - so glad you made it to the cave and got inside (I know the feeling of ageing knees well!).

    Lovely to see the Spring flowers along the walk too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good to see the Spring flowers. Oh, yes those knees - mine seem to bother me going up steps more than at any other time:)

      Delete
  11. Oh well done! It looks very atmospheric in that cave, definitely worth the climb up. What a super walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica - it was very atmospheric and I'm glad I made it in and out:)

      Delete
  12. My ageing knees are grateful to you for making the effort on their behalf! I know I couldn't do it. Looks amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fascinating place - I did ache for a day or two afterwards though:)

      Delete
  13. The cave looks well worth the climb. It looks fascinating with so much history and wonderful views. I would like to imagine our ancestors living there.
    The spring flowers are a lovely sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose they would be quite hardy folk early on as hunter gatherers. Later occupants may have used the cave for shelter perhaps. I must find out more about it:)

      Delete
  14. What a fantastic place to visit! This one is going on my list for next time I'm up in the Midlands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The valley istself is wonderful for walks and the cave is an added place of interest and worth getting up there to see inside:)

      Delete
  15. I would have wanted to attempt that walk up to the cave too if there had been someone with me although I'm not sure that I would have managed to climb through into it. Thanks for sharing as the view from inside the cave is very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to have a helping hand for the harder bits, I thought I'd be waiting outside whilst Paul went in but I managed to find footings and get in:)

      Delete
  16. That looks like such a great place to visit! I admire your photos as I would have trouble with those smooth stones, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Betty and welcome, glad you enjoyed the photos. Yes, the smoothness of the rocks did cause a few slips and slides:)

      Delete