Friday, October 09, 2015

Five on Friday

It's Friday so I'm joining in with  Amy at Love Made my Home for this week's Five on Friday.  Click on the link at the bottom of this post to find others who are joining in too.

Firstly, thank you all very much for your lovely comments on my last week's Five on Friday post and also on my September Photo Scavenger Hunt post.  Apologies if I didn't get back to all of you.  There are one or two of you I can't leave comments with as I am asked to register with google plus which I don't want to do but I have answered the comments you left on the relevant posts on here.

Right onwards we go to this week's five.........

Five things that have made me smile this week

 1. Dahlias - we spent a lovely sunny afternoon at Biddulph Grange Gardens which is our most local National Trust place to visit.  The flowers in Mrs Bateman's Dahlia walk were beautiful.  Here are just a few of them. 

2.  By mid week the rain had returned but we somehow managed a dry walk around the lake at Trentham.  There were some new installations by Fantasy Wire along the way.

 Edit 4.30p.m. - I've added an extra photo to show the size of the dandelions as one or two people have asked what size they are - you can tell from the lady in the white coat that they are quite tall.

3. Butterflies in our garden - above a tortoiseshell on Sedum and below a Red Admiral on Verbena Bonariensis.   


These late flowering plants have been covered in butterflies on the afternoons we've had some sun.


4. Seasonal Food - tomatoes - the last from the greenhouse, English apples, carrots and figs from the supermarket.  Curly Kale and courgettes from the kitchen garden at Biddulph Grange - money in the honesty box,  50 pence a bag.  Below carrot soup and onion bread.

The warm soup was very welcome after our walk around the lake at Trentham.


5.  Reflections - we visit Biddulph Grange in each season every year and I have written many blog posts about it but it never ceases to enchant me.  The reflections in the fish pond and the lake in the Chinese garden were spectacular in the dappled light from the sun.

I'll be popping by to visit you all later today.


Have a lovely weekend everyone.


34 comments:

  1. The soup and onion bread look delicious, a wonderful Autumnal meal. The dahlias were stunning, such a beautiful array of colour. A great five. You too have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes the bread and soup were delicious:)

      Delete
  2. Great photos again Rosie. I like the look of those new installations and that onion bread looks so yummy! Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simone, the onion bread was yummy and the new dandelions at Trentham are so pretty:)

      Delete
  3. Very nice Five! I'm curious to know how big the sculptures(?) are with the dandelions & fairy ... so cute! What beautiful dahlias too ... wow! love the various shades in each of the blooms. I love these flowers but haven't had much success with them this year. Your onion bread & soup look perfect for a chilly fall day (which we are still waiting for here!). What a beautiful NT home to visit. Wonderful photos ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, the sculptures are huge!! These are really amazing, and I love the way the little (big!) seeds are floating away. Thank you for adding the last photo, it was a real surprise to see them, and I'm glad there was a person in the photo to gauge the size.
      W

      Delete
    2. I waited ages for that lady to move on so I could take a photo without people in it but she spent ages gazing at the dandelions so I decided to take a photo anyway as she was so far away - I'm glad now that I did because it does show the scale of them doesn't it?:)

      Delete
  4. Great photos and Biddulph Grange is beautiful. :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of goodies here! Dahlias! LOVELY!
    Butterflies, veggies, and soup! PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you make it all sounds so lovely - thank you Pom Pom:)

      Delete
  6. As always lovely photos Rosie, the soup and bread look so good I could almost taste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - glad you enjoyed the photos - the bread and soup were good and such a simple thing to ward of the chill, I love this time of year for soup:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures! I am excited to that soup is in season! Yay yay yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Karisma - I love soup and could eat it everyday at this time of year:)

      Delete
  8. Oh my, these photos are stunning. How lucky you are to live in a such a lovely area. The soup and onion bread you shared look so yummy. I wish we'd get some fall weather around here; it's suppose to reach almost 100 degrees today! Have a wonderful weekend, Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh that sounds hot, hope some cooler weather is coming your way! Glad you enjoyed the photos:)

      Delete
  9. I did enjoy your post, so many lovely things. Those dandelions are marvellous, I'd love one of those, no I think I'd like lots! If you've left me any replies to my messages on your posts, I haven't seen them as I haven't had any notifications about them, so sorry about that and thanks anyway! I do of course enjoy your comments on my posts. Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry about the replies, its just something I try to do and I mainly wanted to tell those who left messages here and whom I couldn't reciprocate with messages on their own blogs that I'd read their posts and appreciated their messages. I love having you leave messages here as much as I love reading your posts:)

      Delete
  10. Those dandelions are fantastic, I haven't seen them before! Love the dahlias too, there's a house I pass on my way to school which has dahlias planted around the entrance gate and they look so lovely and colourful, even on dull days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias are so colourful at this time of year, we grew some for the first time at home and they have been placed in the greenhouse now it's getting colder - I think you have to dry out the corms for planting next year - I must check up on that. The dandelions have only been there a week or two - near the ampitheatre on the riverside walk:)

      Delete
  11. Oh such a lovely post. I love those dandelions and the dahlias are beautiful. The soup looks delicious too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa - glad you enjoyed the post:)

      Delete
  12. Wonderful to see more great photos from Biddulph! The dahlias are beautiful aren't they. Great veggies too! I love the dandelions most of all though, they are incredible aren't they, real works of art! Thank you for joining Five On Friday. I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy glad you enjoyed the photos and hope you can visit Biddulph again one day in better weather. the dandelions are great aren't they?:)

      Delete
  13. What a truly beautiful place! Love your photos. And the lunch looks so yummy! Healthy and warming! Those dandelion sculptures are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie Biddulph is a wonderful garden with many different areas reflecting different countries. The dandelions are new to the park and very pretty, the soup was lovely and very tasty:)

      Delete
  14. So many favorite things in one post, Rosie. Flowers, butterflies, vegetables from the garden. And soup :-)
    Happy Tuesday.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have given you some of your favourite things, Amalia and Happy Tuesday to you too:)

      Delete
  15. Wonderfull dalhias, and also others fotos, greeting from Belgium in Mons
    http://louisette.eklablog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the photos:)

      Delete
  16. The soup and onion bread look delicious. I love that lilac coloured dahlia too, what a lovely colour it is.

    ReplyDelete