Sunday, November 16, 2014

Wilderness Walk

Firstly thank you so much for your lovely comments on my last post.  I usually reply to them all but I haven't this time so though I'd show my appreciation here.  It's lovely to hear from every one of you.

It's been a busy week!  On Monday we went to see the film Mr Turner which I enjoyed very much.  It was quite a long film but the scenes and settings and acting were wonderful.  Tuesday I had my hearing test and I have to go back again next week as the tinitus I have is a lot worse and I have lost quite a bit of hearing in my left ear.  We also went to one of the Open Hanger Days at RAF Cosford - see Paul's blog for photos of that. 

Yesterday we decided to follow the path of the Wilderness Walk at Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire.  We'd looked at the route on line but when we arrived we were given another map as the woodland part of the route had been closed for maintenance.

We set off anyway to follow what was left of the route as we hadn't done this walk before although we have done the other walks at Kedleston several times.


The house and gardens were closed but we did have a quick peek in the shop and intended to go back after our walk to make some purchases but we ended up going back to the car after the walk because our boots were very muddy and then forgot.

Across the bridge and along the side of the lake until we reached a gate that was the start of the route of the walk.  The air was very misty and damp and there was the constant sound of ducks and  geese from the lake and also the cackle of pheasants from the fields nearby.

It was a lovely walk and very quiet too.  The car park was a quarter full and most people had gone into the shop and cafe or had taken one of the other routes.

We crossed a couple of bridges along the way.



We also passed some stunning ancient oak trees at the side of the river.

We eventually reached the start of the village where we crossed the river to walk back down the other side.

There were lots of sheep grazing in the grounds

It was by now getting quite damp and a bit chilly

So it was good to see were back at the bridge where the walk started.


Did I mention that there were a lot of sheep?  Some more curious than others!


22 comments:

  1. The house looks very grand.
    Lovely that the walk was quiet, with only the sound of the birds. Eeek.. don't mention curious sheep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheep were quite placid - in great contrast to your visitors. the house is very grand inside and quite a few films have been made therre:)

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful - though slightly boggy in places I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was quite muddy up around the closed woodland and near the river:)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the lovely wilderness walk Rosie. I love the photo of the bullrushes (if that's how it's spelt! I really want to see the Turner film as I am a fan of Timothy Spall. I am sorry to hear that you have tinitus, it must be so debilitating for you. Have you tried listening to music through earphones when it gets really bad to dumb down the ringing? Some bird song or crashing waves might be a good distraction for it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tinitus is caused by the hearing loss so I'm hoping that the hearing aids I have to have will help with that:)

      Delete
  4. A good name for the walk. Being misty and quiet except for the sound of the birds it must have been an atmospheric one. I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering from tinitus which is so distracting. I would like to see the Mr Turner film myself if I get the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very tranquil walk and good to get out in the fresh air. Sometime the tinitus is worse than others and can get very distracting at times:)

      Delete
  5. Looks like a lovely (if wet underfoot) walk. We went to Kedleston Hall a few years ago but I would like to revisit. Hope your hearing gets better but I know it is hard to treat. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look to have some nice events coming up the Christmas. Yes tinitus is quite hard to treat - the hearing aids may help:)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good week. Tinnitus is a pain isn't it? My hearing is getting worse too. Your walk looked lovely, so many things to see and great photos. P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an interesting week. My hearing has been deteriorating for a few years but seems to have got worse in the last few months:)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely walk - if not a bit grey and drear although that does sort of make it a bit more atmospheric - glad you enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to seeing Mr. Turner too. Sorry to hear about your tinnitus - it is such an annoying affliction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the tinitus is anoying and very distracting at times. I hope you get to see Mr Turner:)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely walk, we are hot and dry here in south Oz so to me it looks delightful. Sorry to hear about the tinnitus. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny and welcome thanks for leaving a comment:)

      Delete
  9. A nice photo journey - good way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mike and welcome thanks for leaving a comment - its was alovely way to start the week:)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photographs! This looks like a great walk. Although I've been to Kedleston Hall a few times, I've never followed the Wilderness Walk - I will next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes you away from the hall and into the grounds - it will be a lot further when the woodland section is open:)

      Delete
  11. It looks like a lovely place to go for a walk, and very typical November weather too! At least the sheep don't mind. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sheep just carried on munching and grazing and occasionaly taking an interest in us some stopping to watch us go by others taking off quickly as we got near:)

      Delete