Saturday, October 25, 2014

A Quiet Walk

We walked along leaf scattered paths

 their dry, crispness crunching under our feet

Alone and yet not with just the sound of the breeze in the branches and the occasional twitter of a robin, unseen but heard.

 We wandered past old stone, lichen encrusted walls

and walls covered in dark green ivy which dangled towards the brown autumnal leaves on the path's floor.

 The sun came out to warm the late morning

 dappling through the trees where leaves still clung stubbornly on,  defying the breeze which was now reaching more of a bluster,  whipping up leaves from the forest floor only to shower them once more to their resting place

 The signs of autumn were everywhere, in the sounds, scents and colours of the day, reds, golds and holly greens, the calls of crows, pheasants and wood pigeons,  woodsmoke and rich earthy smells scenting the air.

 The red berries, of which there were many, glowing in the now warm noonday sun

glorious portents of the colder, harsher winter weather to come.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and writing Rosie. I'm about to step outside now for a little stroll but think I'm going to have to get wrapped up x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane - hope you had a super walk:)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, your walk was much quieter than ours, all we heard was chain saws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet - shame about your walk - hope the chainsaws weren't cutting down too many trees:)

      Delete
  3. A quiet but sensory walk. A very good start to a weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely walk. Proper leaf kicking weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes Jessica lots of leaves were kicked along the way:)

      Delete
  5. I love walks like this. I felt as though I could almost hear, smell and see all that Autumn loveliness that you described so beautifully. Enjoy your weekend. P x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kind of scenery that has me lingering long with my camera and even taking out my paints again. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John - how I wish I could paint some of the scenes I photograph:)

      Delete
  7. Walking in autumn is very relaxing, with this peaceful atmosphere and the variety of colors in this time. I feel like I was walking too...Your photos are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dolores - the seasonal colours are very inspiring aren't they?:)

      Delete
  8. I can smell the day! What a lovely evocative blogpost!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a glorious walk. Loved the stone walls covered lichen and moss . I too can smell the woodsy scent from here ...wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think woodsmoke is so evocative of this season don't you?:)

      Delete
  10. It is a beautiful time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautifully written autumnal post Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely post, Rosie. I'm looking forward to taking a similar, quiet walk this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a lovely autumnal walk, Linda:)

      Delete
  13. It's wonderful to immerse yourself in silence. That was a gorgeous autumnal walk. PS - I planted my Paperwhites so that they would flower for Christmas - they took about 2 weeks to grow and are now in full bloom!!! Be warned! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted the paperwhites a couple of weeks ago and they have grown so much already! I think they may bloom before Christmas:)

      Delete
  14. What a lovely walk Rosie. I can just imagine the sound of those leaves underfoot and the wind whispering through the trees.

    I went for a lunchtime walk today, but the wind was so strong that it was a bit more fresh air than I had bargained for! It was challenging just making any forward progress and a relief to get back indoors.

    Have a great week,

    Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't enjoy walking in strong winds at all. Your walk sounds particularly challenging, Marie but so nice to get home afterwards:)

      Delete