Monday, November 05, 2007

Lunch at Ladybower



We arrived at the Heatherdene car park near the dam in brilliant sunshine. I think it may have been one of the warmest November days I have ever experienced. The autumnal colours in the trees and the bright blue of the water were stunning and my photos don't do justice to the clarity of the light or the still atmosphere of the day. We took the walk down towards the dam crossed the road and then walked across to the opposite side.



We took photos and watched the little fishing boats bobbing about on the still water then walked back and ate our packed lunch of cheese and watercress sandwiches and the last of the devil's cake. The final port of call on our way home was the David Mellor factory shop in Hathersage. They had some great craft pottery and desirable kitchen equipment as well as the wonderful cutlery made on the site but this time my purse stayed firmly in my pocket. The Round Building factory is on the same site. Two or three years ago we met up with friends and went on a factory tour, organised for the Heritage Open Days weekend; it really is very interesting and the round building is as impressive inside as out.



After a good look around we set off towards Bakewell, Monyash and Hartington getting home at about 4p.m. just in time to bring the cats in, close the cat flap and 'batten down the hatches' as the fireworks started as soon as it was dark - I think they are very pretty at a properly organised event but the random garden ones I don't like - especially the very loud ones, so I joined the cats in jumping at each loud bang - I didn't end up under the bed with my claws stuck in the carpet though!

7 comments:

  1. Your photographs of Ladybower look wonderful to me Rosie, especially as we've spent the last 4 days compiling R's evidence to a public enquiry into 2 new tram routes in Nottingham. Sigh... Must get a life... How's the head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually stopped at Ladybower only driven past it on my way up over the Snake. Have you been up to Derwent Dam? It's lovely up there. I was in David Mellor's shop last week and didn't buy anything. I saw a wonderful bowl by A & J Young of Norfolk though and I plan to go back and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. susan, hope all goes well with the public enquiry. You both work so hard for your community. I think Saturday will be our last Derbyshire visit until after Christmas as the seasonal jobs start soon - we thought we would take advantage of our last free day and the glorious weather :)

    rowan - haven't been to the Derwent Dam for ages, in fact hadn't been to Ladybower for ages either. The David Mellor shop is wonderful I loved all the big stoneware jugs and bowls - I think I saw the ones you mentioned - hope you go back to purchase it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been to Ladybower too its breathtaking isnt it - I love the way we drove down to it and it lay before us - what a spectacle. I agree that Sundays Mr Vyse was better the other one in the film was a little too pompous. I actually felt sorry for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. catherine, yes Ladybower is breathtaking when you approach it by road and/or foot. It was lovely on Saturday. Like you I felt quite sorry for that version's Mr Vyse, I was glad to see the back of the film one :) as you say a little too pompous to appeal to Miss Honeychurch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just curious as to why there were fireworks by your house on Nov 5th? Is there a holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lois,
    The Gunpowder plot of November 5th 1605 is traditional remembered by bonfires and fireworks. Guy Fawkes and others plotted to blow up King James 1st and his Parliament. When I was a child it was always Bonfire Night and we would have a huge fire for our village and everyone especially us children would attend and eat baked potatoes and bonfire toffee and watch the fireworks around the fire. There is a saying 'Remember, Remember the 5th of November, gunpowder, treason and plot' Here is a link about the historical reasons behind the event:- http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/STUgunpowderP.htm

    ReplyDelete